Saturday 2 January 2010

New year, new blog, new list

Brand new year, so it must be a good time for a list. Here's a random list of some of my favourite pieces of short fiction. No particular order.

Under the Boardwalk - Jayne Anne Phillips
The Tumblers - Nathan Englander
Radio Baby - Deborah Kay Davies
Boys and Girls - Alice Munro
The White Road - Tania Hershman
I can squash the king, Tommo - Vanessa Gebbie
Sheer big waste of love - Kate Atkinson
Mr. Roopratna's Chocolate - Lewis Davies
Brokeback Mountain - Annie Proulx
Junior - Anna Gavalda

There, that'll do for now. I'll try to explain why I like some of them, soon.

4 comments:

  1. Brian, welcome to Blogland! Thanks for the lovely mention, and some ideas for stories I haven't read yet and writers I have never heard of. (Anything with chocolate in the title is good in my book!)

    May it be a year full of great writing and great reading for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tania, thanks for taking a look at my as yet minimalist blog!

    Lewis Davies's story is the title story in an anthology published by Seren Books. The link is here:
    http://www.seren-books.com/fiction/p/1800/

    Hope 2010 is a great year for you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brian, lovely to see you in the blogosphere! And golly, I am so pleased to see Tommo in your fave list, next to such great writers, too.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vanessa, thanks for popping in.
    And come on, how could I not include a story set in Merthyr Tydfil?

    ReplyDelete